In this post you will see the top 12 ways to make your real age younger … things like staying connected with family and friends (real age 8.5 years younger) and flossing and brushing your teeth for 120 seconds (real age 6.1 years younger).
We’re not talking about our age in years. Our real age is how young or old our body “thinks” it is based on your state of health and fitness.
This is from an intriguing site, loaded with tips and action plans to grow younger! See the RealAge website here. RealAge is co-founded by Dr. Mike Roizen (Cleveland Clinic) and Dr. Mehmet Oz (The Dr. Oz Show). The RealAge Test is a science-based calculation of your real age. It also provides a plan of action to “grow younger.” This is the internet at its best!
So what are those top 12 ways to grow younger?
12 Ways to Lower Your Real Age:
- Take vitamin D. Vital for memory, skin, heart, bones, and arteries. Helps fight off cancer. Getting enough vitamin D daily (1,000 mg; 1,200 mg after age 60) can make your RealAge 9.4 years younger.
- Don’t ignore the numbers. Keep waist size, blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol in the healthy zone. Dramatically reduces risk of many problems, including cardiovascular disease. Combined effect is huge. Can make your RealAge as much as 19.8 years younger.
- Reach out and stay in touch. Staying connected with family and friends through e-mails, phone calls, and face-to-face visits. Can make your RealAge 8.5 years younger.
- Fruits and nuts. Keeps your heart, mind, and waistline healthy. Eating 4 to 5 servings of fruit and a handful of nuts daily can make your RealAge 6.4 years younger.
- Keep stress in check. Stress comes in many shapes, sizes, and strengths. Some stress is good. The bad kind ages us on the inside and the outside. Reducing bad stress with meditation or other relaxation techniques can make your RealAge 1.7 years younger.
- Whole grains. Unprocessed grains have more fiber and nutrients. Helps to fend off disease and keep body weight healthy. Eating 5+ servings of whole grains a day can make your RealAge 2.6 years younger.
- Think yourself happy. Positive moods and a good attitude help your body’s vital systems stay in balance. Remaining upbeat can make your RealAge 5.2 years younger.
- Move! Walk daily. A daily 30-minute walk is one of the best ways to keep our bones, blood pressure, waistline, joints, energy, arteries, and attitude young. Benefits are so broad that they’re hard to calculate. For example, if daily walks help keep your blood pressure at 115/70, that alone can make your RealAge up to 12 years younger.
- Be a sleep champion. Regularly sleeping enough helps with everything from keeping your energy up to keeping your weight down. Getting at least 6 hours of sleep a night — but no more than 9 hours — can make your RealAge 3.4 years younger.
- Lift it! Working out with weights does your muscles and your bones good, and it doesn’t take a ton of time to make a difference. Strength-training for just 10 minutes three times per week can make your RealAge as much as 2.6 years younger.
- Invest 120 seconds at the bathroom sink. Healthy teeth and gums helps keep your arteries and immune system in top shape. Flossing and brushing daily can prevent periodontal disease and tooth loss, which can make your RealAge 6.1 years younger.
- Learn something new! Speak Italian, play the guitar, cook … Staying mentally active throughout life can keep your brain sharp and improve your overall health.