Have you lost your ferocity to rule? If so, it’s costing you.
There’s really no way to avoid this.
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule.” ~ Genesis 1.28 NIV
In Waking the Dead, John Eldredge writes of our need to exercise fierce mastery.
“Hebrew scholar Robert Alter has looked long and hard at this passage, mining it for its riches. He says the idea of rule means ‘a fierce exercise of mastery.’ It is active, engaged, passionate. It is fierce.”
Consider an experience from the life of Catherine of Sienna (from Waking the Dead). She had gone to a secret place to pray:
As she began to pray, her ears were assaulted by blasphemous words, and she cried out to God, “Oh, look Lord, I came up here to give you my day. Now look what is happening.” And the Lord said, “Does this please you, Catherine?” “Oh no, Lord,” she said. And the Lord said, “It is because I indwell you that this displeases you so.” These words brought instant understanding of my plight …
I also knew that the problem was not a state of condition of my mind or my heart, but that it was harassment from without, from the accuser of my soul. I knew beyond all shadow of a doubt that “Greater is he who is in you, than he who is in the world.” I then cried out to God, “Take it away, Lord. Send this filthy, horrible thing away.”
But the Lord said, “No, you do it.” It was then that I learned spiritual authority. Centered in God and He in me, I took authority over the evil spirit when it manifested itself and commanded it to leave. After several months of this, a concentrated training in moving from the center where Christ dwells, I was utterly free of this harassment.
What can we learn from her experience?
Eldredge says there are several things.
- Her heart was good. The assault was coming from the outside, from the Enemy. We have to know that the new heart which Jesus has given us is good. We also have to know that we are at war.
- Jesus told her to send it away. “You do it.” We are to resist. We must exercise fierce mastery. It’s His authority. Yet, He has given it to us to use.
- In this case, it took several months of battle. She was not blowing it. It was training. She was developing as an apprentice of His Kingdom. We must learn how to rule.
There’s no way to avoid it – His dominion will have to flow through you
- Our thinking must be renewed. We are in need of growing into a Godly dominion-mindset.
- Become focused, proactive and intentional.
- Prayer will flow from the Word and our worship.
- Authoritative decrees will flow from our prayer.
- Prayer-borne action will soar on the wings of our belief-filled decrees.
- Accurate, authentic action will release the transformation you are longing for.
We really are blessed by the Creator. Sourced in the Creation Commission – His royal word remains: “Be fruitful … increase … fill … subdue … rule.”